Monday, February 1, 2010

ISSUE NO 2: Interview


An Interview with Assistant Lecturer
DIA A. SULAIBI



Q: Who is Mr. Dia, in general?
- Well, I can say that I am an ambitious perfectionist who is in a non-stop quest for happiness and peace within himself. You may interpret that as you wish.
Q: Who is your model in life?
- That is a very deep question. I was influenced by so many people, most of which I did not even have the honor to meet. But, I was always impressed by those who can express themselves and their thoughts so brilliantly. I may name Steven Spielberg and J. K. Rowling.
Q: Where and when did you get your M.A. degree?
- Just four years ago, and I got it from this department; Department of Translation.
Q: Do you think that teaching is a fascinating career?
- Absolutely, but there is a downside to it; teaching may literally consume your whole time if you are not organized. Teaching is a very big responsibility and one should be up to it.
Q: What do you want to be in the future?
- A fiction writer, I guess, I like to imagine new worlds and places and fill them with things.

Q: How do you feel as a general supervisor of TRANSMAG?
- I feel very proud. Actually, I feel like we have right here in TRANSMAG the seed of something big. I expect a gret future to TRANSMAG and its staff.
Q: Who inspired you to be who you are?
- That would be my late mother and father. My big sister also had a big impact on me and on my character.
Q: What do you want to say to students who flee from lectures?
- What do I want to say to them? They wouldn’t listen anyway, would they? Nonetheless, it is a very big mistake to do such a thing. I know, for one, that I do my best to give a proper lecture (and so do all of the other teachers) and I don’t want to see my efforts go in vain. Those students just don’t get it.
Q: Who are your favourite actor and actress, and why?
- I am a big movie fan, you know, so I like many actors. But, if I may choose one I would go for Johnny Depp (star of Pirates of the Caribbean) because he is so talented and versatile; he can make you laugh and equally he can make you cry. As for the actresses, Cate Blanchett is my favourite; she’s so good in everything she does. Watch The Aviator and you will know what I’m talking about.
Q: Finally, do you have anything to say to the TRANSMAG staff?
- Yes, I do. In fact, it is something I try to convey to them frequently, that is to “cherish the moment and your being together.” These are very critical times in which your chracters will be shaped, so make the most of them.

Interviewed by: Ibrahim T. Ibrahim

No comments:

Post a Comment