Saturday, October 8, 2011

ISSUE NO. 7: Interview with the Dean of College of Science \ AL-Mustansiriya University Assistant Professor Yousif Kadim Abdulameer

Interview with the Dean of College of Science \ AL-Mustansiriya University
Assistant Professor 
Yousif Kadim Abdulameer

Q1\ Who is the Dean of The College of Science?
A\ I am Assistant Professor Yousif Kadim Abdulalameer, I was granted BA degree in Chemistry by The University of Baghdad \ College of Science in 1978. And I got MA degree from the same university in 1982, and I was given PhD degree by the above-mentioned university.
I am married and I have five children.

Q2\ What is your philosophy in life?
A\ To meet my need. I achieved my goal when I got PhD degree and then I was thinking of a way to make the experiences I gained from my work at The Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research for more than 23 years available for my students, so it they will be able to run practical and administrative tasks in a perfect way.

Q3\ What are the posts that you have occupied so far?
A\ I occupied many posts within my career, such as, participating previously in a large number of committees at The College of Education \ University of AL-Qadisiya.
I also worked in scientific, import, and examination committees for many years. After that I was appointed as the Head of Department of Chemistry at the University of AL-Qadisyia.
Then in 1999, I was transferred to AL-Mustansiriya University, College of Science. I got the title of assistant professor in 2002, and I worked for the afore-mentioned University with the capacity of a member at the promotion committee.
Afterwards, I became the Head of The Department of Chemistry, later on, Assistant Dean of The College of Science, then A Dean of The College of Science. There is a point that should be taken into consideration: My basic career is teaching.

Q4\ What is your viewpoint on the academic atmosphere in the university?
A\ The academic atmosphere has been improved within the last year, but students still suffer from the lack of freedom to develop their capabilities in the university. The most beautiful period of my life was at my college, when I was an undergraduate student, there were consolidated relationships between us and our professors, and our relations with professors were parallel. One of the problems that students suffer from now is the compression of lecture hours, because students' numbers have been doubled and because of the evening studies. This is why students get exhausted and students have no leisure time to exercise their hobbies and so on. There is an important point in respect of student behaviour in the university campus; Students have to interact with the academic life and should preserve traditions and religions at the same time. They should forget their ethnic, political and tribal affiliations, because they are students related to AL-Mustansiriya University and they shall be abided by laws, regulations and instructions of university and apply them literally. Students have to invest every single moment of their academic life and to gain knowledge and science. They have to wear appropriate clothes in the university.

Q5\ What are the achievements of AL-Mustansiriya University \ College of Science?
A\ A lot of achievements have been implemented during this year, including the international certificate of UNESCO that Dr. RIYAM gained, due to her research, which is about biology, this certificate was one out of fifteen winning researches all over the world.
College of Science occupies title No.4 after it has occupied title No.19 at the level of Iraqi Universities. It also gained in February title No.3 in the field of IC3 international certificates. It also intends to hold a conference on May\5 and that is to be the first national conference of "Nanotechnology" which is to be held on next Nov.

Q6\ What is your vision of University Press in general?
A\ The press in Iraq became free and open after 2003, so the journalist has the freedom to write about anything. Since, you are journalists, confirm the information by checking the source before publication.
Take care of credibility of publication, Not only focusing on the negative points You have to underline the positive ones too.

Q7\ Anything you would like to add?
A\ I am very glad to meet you, and I hope you will be important journalists soon, we are in need of international press to achieve our ultimate goals.

Interviewed by:
Dia Sulaibi,
Ibrahim T. Al-Bayati,
Mushriq A. Jaber
& Aseel K. Mahmood.

No comments:

Post a Comment