Friday, May 7, 2010

ISSUE NO 4: The International Women's Day!

The International Women's Day!
The International Women's Day (8 March) is an occasion marked by women's groups around the world. This date is also commemorated at the United Nations and is designated in many countries as a national holiday. When women on all continents, often divided by national boundaries and by ethnic, linguistic, cultural, economic and political differences, come together to celebrate their Day, they can look back to a tradition that represents at least nine decades of struggle for equality, justice, peace and development.

I know for sure that right now there are a couple of ideas in your mind about women’s rights or women’s equality to men, etc, but I am sorry to disappoint you when I say that this is not the message I want to send you. I can’t call this kind of “days” anything but a cliché; I mean what are all these things about? What’s wrong with people? I mean “women’s day”, and they call themselves women’s rights activists, are they serious? How come we’ve never heard about “men’s day” or whatever they want to call it? I get speechless just thinking about it. People should understand that asking for “women’s rights” is as bad as degrading their dignity; you are like making all women around the world get stuck with the idea that tells them that “you were less in value than men, you are not equal to men, not smart enough, you have to struggle and you always have to ask to get something that is your right”!!!And ask whom? Oh dear God what a surprise: men!!! How smart!!! go away people of “women’s rights organizations” the only thing you are doing is being a tool in the women’s oppressors hands to create generations of low self-esteem women, or as I like to call them “Mona Lisa smile women”. Don’t you get it; she’s smiling but, is she happy, sad, satisfied. Does it matter; she’s a painting. As long as she’s pretty, cute, lovely, brainless then she’s a woman .trust me, I’m not against them. I do want what they want but they are making it worse for us women, and even for men. The impact of unsatisfied, low self-esteem, unhappy, cruel women is showing on men, they are the other half, remember!!
You know what, I’m not being ungrateful for these women who made it possible for me to write this article and speak my mind freely. But, it is time to stop this ideology and start to really consider women as equals to you, not because someone tells you or asks you or forces you by law to do it, but as a kind of your nice self image. I am just asking you to have this as an instinct in you, to make it come to you by nature because no one asks a mother to love her baby and sacrifice for him. So, why can’t one show the same respect to his own mankind, I’m only asking men (and even woman) who don’t agree with me to think forward into the future and see what the coming generations are going to see when they study the image of women today; they will see them living in a spiral, they look like they have it all and that they have been equal to men, but in fact they are only (and you might think that am harsh) puppets in the hands of men. Again, I’m not taking women’s (neither men’s) side, but I’m saying the truth and the truth hurts. As my article cones to an end, I just want to say that I consider it disrespectful to refer to any human being as “woman” or “man” ; we are all humans and we have good and bad in us. All you have to do is live with it as simple as it can be.
Written by: Israa A. Ameen

No comments:

Post a Comment